Thursday, July 30, 2009

Need info on "C C Camps". Was around during World War II. Laid road for Yorktown to Jameston,VA parkway

I dont know if this group of "C C Boys" was part of the Military. Remember father talking about C C Camp ( he would have been around 84 yrs). It's just a little bit of history I'd like to pass on to children and grandchildren

Need info on "C C Camps". Was around during World War II. Laid road for Yorktown to Jameston,VA parkway
My Dad was in the Civilian Conservation Corps. also. Apparently the economy was still a little sluggish up to the point just before the war. The effects of the depression hadn't completely gone away yet and there were a lot of people without jobs. Much of the work in upgrading our national parks was done by these folk. My Dad, who grew up in western PA was shipped out west and worked in the area around Yellowstone and up into Montana, building bridges, clearing forests for roads. He only spoke well of it, saying that he enjoyed the work, got to look around at places he would have never been able to go. I'm not sure what the wages were like or even if there were any. My Dad was and outdoors kinda guy so it was right up his alley. I don't think they were actually connected with the military, just operated by the feds

peony

No comments:

Post a Comment