Thursday, July 30, 2009

Are C&C cages hard to move?

I really want a C%26amp;C cage for my guinea pig, but my parents are concerned because they're hard to move. Are they hard to move? I'm only planning on getting 2 guinea pigs, so it's not going to be that big. I'm not planning on making a stand for the cage, its just going to be on the ground. I just feel like C%26amp;C cages are better for the guinea pigs. Are they really hard to move? Thanks =)

Are C%26amp;C cages hard to move?
Great choice! C%26amp;C cages are wonderful cages for guinea pigs. They are spacious, sturdy, inexpensive, and very easy to clean! Commercial pet store cages are often very expensive and are NEVER big enough for a guinea pig.





Now, to answer your question, it depends on the way you move it. Really, once you build it where you want it, you shouldn't move it because all of your accessories within the cage will scramble about, and you risk having the grids fall apart. However, if it's completely necessary, you can also gently lift the grids off and away from the chloroplast until you can safely transport the chloroplast to its new location. It's much easier if you have several people to move the base, so it doesn't accidentally bend or crease on one side because of a weight difference. Move it to the desired location, and then put the grids back over top.





I never moved my cage until I had to sell my guinea pigs. But when I did, it was a pain. I had to carry the cage down a flight of stairs and out and around several doorways. This was difficult because we tried to move the cage as a whole, and all of the grids fell apart and smashed into eachother when we carried it. Also, if you have a 2x4 grid or wider, it is very hard to maneuver the base around door frames, doors, and narrow hallways. That was also a pain in the rear. Eventually, we got the cage outside and into the new owner's car, and everything was a mess. The grids were no longer connected, and all of the items and bedding in the cage was smashed around.





It can be done if you use planning, but if you try to move it the way that I did, it is very difficult. If you use the former strategy that I suggested, it should be no problem to move your cage. Good luck! Great choice of a cage.
Reply:I have 2 large C%26amp;C cages for my rabbits. The bigger on is 4 high and 2*3. When I have to move it to clean, I move the chloroplast first, then drag the rest of the very carefully.


When you build it, use the connectors and zip ties the help stabilize it. You can put it on a stand or on a piece of wood with wheels. Some people use grids on all 6 sides with makes it more stable and easier to move, you just need to pick it up.





When you do move the cage, get the guinea pigs, any bowls that could fall and accessories the could break or move too much.

hollyhock

No comments:

Post a Comment